Please note that all opportunities posted to The Cage and its accompanying Facebook page are un-vetted by the RTF staff.
NOTICE: All Opportunities Unvetted
April 10, 2019
Sound Technician Needed
July 22, 2019
Job Description: Sound Technician
St. James’ Episcopal Church, Austin TX
Objective: Produce the best possible atmosphere for worship through sound reinforcement. This includes, but is not limited to, creating the best speaking and music mix possible, creating an audio mix that meets the mood that the rector or worship leader wants to convey, and supporting the audio needs of the congregation attending the church service.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
1. Must be dependable and committed, task-oriented and always thinking ahead of what needs to happen next.
2. Able to work with the music director and take directions.
3. Must have prior experience mixing audio successfully in live environments OR is currently attending formal training and/or working alongside an experienced mentor of sound engineering.
4. Have good communication skills and good work ethics.
5. Ability to think quickly and react/trouble-shoot properly in high-stress situations.
6. Willing to attend training sessions and read/watch other training material for improving existing skills.
General duties: Sound technician will provide sound for the 10:15 and 5:30 services on Sundays; and for special services (Christmas Eve, Holy Week services) and other services- weddings, funerals,-as arranged.
1. Set up the performance area for musicians (or with musicians depending on circumstances) where applicable. Communicate with 10:15 music director about any special needs for that Sunday.
2. Perform proper line checks (all microphones and directly attached instruments).
3. Perform proper sound checks where applicable (includes gain settings, monitor mixes, proper volume settings, and the EQ/mixing process).
4. Instruct guest preachers, guest speakers on use of microphones
1. Adjust sound levels during service as needed.
2. Follow worship leader’s directions during services. For example, boosting or reducing monitor levels.
3. Record the service.
4. Follow cues.
5. Provide a distraction-free service as it relates to audio production.
1. Obtain lessons learned from issues during the service and correct them.
2. Note any broken/faulty equipment and report to the parish administrator
3. Properly return equipment to its storage after the service.
On an intermittent basis:
Check sound system to make sure all is operational prior to large services (St James Day, Holy Week, Easter, etc)
Before Holy Week/Easter, Christmas Eve and other large church holidays: work with clergy, all music directors (Helen, Francisco, Martha) to see what sound needs are, arrange for those needs.
Run sound board for special services (as scheduled in advance)
Attend audio committee meetings as requested.
Check schedule for upcoming services/needs.
10 hours a week, pay range $12.00-17.00 per hour depending on experience
Like all staff positions at St. James’ Episcopal Church, employment is contingent on successful completion of Safeguarding God’s People and Safeguarding God’s Children (abuse prevention training and background check) as required by the Diocese of Texas.
Please send your resume to email@example.com, with sound technician in the subject line.